This is my version of the sorakkai kootu with homemade dal powder. Lauki / sorakkai has a lot of health benefits and nutrients. It helps in weight loss, treats urinary tract infections, helps digestion and treats constipation, helps in good sleep and healthy for heart and reduces the inflammation of the liver.
Lauki Dal / Sorakkai Kootu
No. of Serving : 4
Lauki / Sorakkai - 1 medium
Moong dal - 100 gms
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Hing - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Tempering
Onion vadavam - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 medium
Curry leaves - few
Oil - 1 tbsp
1. Wash and cook moong dal and keep aside.
2. In a pan cook finely chopped lauki / sorakkai till its fully cooked.
3. Add to lauki, homemade dal powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, hing and salt.
4. Add the dal to the lauki. Mix well.
5. In a tempering pan add oil and add onion vadavam, then add curry leaves, then add finely chopped onion and try till the onions turn brown.
6. Add this to the lauki dal.
7. Serve with steamed rice and kara kozhambu or with chapathi.