Chicken Vindhai Curry is a classic traditional curry of Pondicherry, India. The unique flavour comes from the combination of garlic, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and vinegar. It is usually prepared with mutton, this time I have prepared it with chicken. It was very delicious and this recipe was passed on from my grandmother to my mother and now to me.
Chicken Vindhai Curry
No. of Serving : 6
Chicken - 1 kg
Onion - 2 medium
Tomato - 3 medium
Coconut grated - 5 tbsp
Garlic - 10 cloves
Red chilli powder - 3 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Vinegar - 2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Cloves - 3
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Salt to taste
Oil - 3 tbsp
1. Soak fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and garlic in water for 1/2 hr and grind to paste along with grated coconut. Keep aside.
2. Puree tomatoes and keep aside.
3. Wash chicken and dry it, keep aside.
4. In a pressure pan heat oil and add the cloves and cinnamon.
5. Then add chopped onion and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
6. Add tomato paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and sauté till oil separates on the top.
7. Add chicken and the ground coconut paste and vinegar and sauté for 5 minutes till a nice aroma comes.
8. Add required water for the curry and pressure cook for 3 whistle.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves.