Brinjal Pachadi is a traditional condiment prepared in Pondicherry. This recipe has been passed on from my grandmother to my mother and now to me. This is usually served long side with mutton asathu (coconut) curry or fish asathu or any type of curry made with coconut.
No. of Serving : 6
Brinjal - 200 gms
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp thick paste
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Red chilli - 2
Green chilli - 2
Curry leaves - few
1. In a kadai, heat oil and add mustard seeds, when the seeds begin to crackle add urad dal and fry till the dal turn golden brown; then add red chilli, green chilli and curry leaves.
2. Then add chopped onion and sauté till it turns translucent.
3. Then add chopped brinjal and sauté for 5 minutes, then sprinkle water and cook till the brinjal is half done.
4. Then add chopped tomato and cook till the brinjal and tomatoes are completely cooked.
5. Add tamarind paste and boil for another 5 minutes.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.