A facebook friend of mine requested me to post the recipe on how to make soft spongy and white idli. This I am posting on her request. This is how I make idli everytime.
Soft Spongy Idli Recipe
Idli rice - 8 cups
Urad Dal - 2 cups
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Water as required
Salt as required
1. The ratio is 4 : 1 ; rice : urad dal
2. Soak urad dal and fenugreek together , rice separately for 8 hrs.
3. First grind to fluffy batter the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in the grinder. You must sprinkle water from time to time to get it fluffy. You must grind it exactly for 15 minutes, no more or less time.
4. Transfer into a vessel.
5. Grind the rice for 30 minutes till little course.
6. Transfer to the urad dal mix.
7. Mix in salt and leave it overnight to ferment.
8. I make idli in the pressure cooker. Pour water in the cooker and bring it to a boil before greasing and pouring the batter into the mould.
9. Steam for 10 minutes.
- The urad dal must be ground fluffy and light.
- The rice must be ground little coarsely.
- The water in the pressure cooker must be boiling before the idli mould is placed into it, only then u will get fluffy idli otherwise idli will become flat.
- Adjust the rice according to your grinder capacity. Remember ratio rice : urad dal ; 4 : 1
- You can also grind it in mixer / blender, you will get the same soft and spongy idli.