For Sea Food Lovers !!! - Squid Vermicelli Biryani
Kanava is my favourite seafood. This time I tried biryani with vermicelli and added squid / kanava to it. This recipe is dum biryani style.
Squid Vermicelli Biryani
Kanava Biryani -Dum biryani style
No. of servings : 4
Squid / calamari / kanava fish - 6 medium
Vermicelli - 1 packet
Onion - 2 medium
Tomato - 2 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 4 tbsp
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon stick - 1
Bay leaves - 1
Cardamom - 2
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
Mint leaves - 1/2 bunch
1. In a non stick pan or kadai, heat oil and ghee, add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and cardamom.
2. Then add onion and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
3. Then add the coriander leaves and mint leaves and sauté.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw flavour of ginger goes.
5. Then add tomatoes and sauté till done.
6. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and fry till oil separates on the top of the gravy.
7. Clean the squid / kanava thoroughly 5 times. Chop then into cubes and add them to the gravy.
8. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add little water, cover and cook over medium flame for 15 - 20 minutes.
9. Add water as per the vermicelli package. I added 400 ml of water per packet.
10. Let the gravy come to a boil. Meanwhile fry the vermicelli with a little ghee.
11. Add the vermicelli little at a time so as to cover the pan. Don't stir it immediately. Let all the water absorb.
12. In the adjacent stove, heat a dosa tawa. Mix this vermicelli biryani once and transfer the vessel and place it on top of the dosa tawa, reduce the flame to low. Cover with lid and place a vessel filled with water on top of the kadai.
13. After about 5 minutes, stir it once, close it and keep the water vessel on top.
14. After about another 5 minutes, turn off the flame, mix it once, cover and keep the water vessel on top and leave it for 15 minutes.
15. This is dum vermicelli type. Serve hot with raita.