Scones are quick bread, my twist on this scones is that I have used Thinai / Kodo millet.
Thinai / Kodo millet is rich in iron, magnesium and calcium. They are known to reduce bad cholesterol and triglycerides and increase the good cholesterol.
Millet Scones / Kodo millet Scones / Thinai Scones
No. of Scones : 6 - 7
Thinai flour / kodo millet flour - 1 1/2 cups
Maida / All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt a pinch
Butter - 1/2 cup (cold)
Egg - 1
Butter milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Walnuts - 4 tbsp (crushed)
1. In a mixing bowl add maida, thinai flour / kodo millet flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
2. Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add it to the flour mixture, mix well with the finger tips so that its well incorporated into the flour.
3. In another bowl mix together egg, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla essence.
4. Add this egg mixture to the flour mixture little at a time and mix well. Don't over
knead the dough at any stage.
5. Flatten it on a work surface and cut into shapes.
6. Preheat oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes in mode 'toast'
7. Bake the scones in a preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes at 180 degrees in mode 'bake'.
8. Serve warm. This tasted good as it is. You can serve with butter or jam.
- Do not over knead the dough at any stage.