Soup in Summer ? Why not !!! - if it cools the body.
The health benefits found in both barley and manathakkali keerai makes this soup appropriate for summer.
Barley is a whole grain rich in B complex, vitamins and minerals. Its diuretic property helps flush toxins and infection causing bacteria out of the body, thus a remedy for urinary tract infections. Being alkaline and rich in fibre, it's good for intestinal health and digestion.
Manathakkali Keerai has high medicinal values; cures stomach and mouth ulcers, strengthens the muscles, improves vision and cures urinary tract infections.
Barley Manathakkali Keerai Soup
Servings : 2
Barley - 3 tbsp
Water - 3 cups
Garlic cloves - 1
Small Onions - 6-7
Tomato - 1 big
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut milk - 1/4 tsp (optional)
1. Wash and soak barley in water for half hour.
2. In a pan, heat water and add soaked barley, let it cook for 15 minutes or till
done. Keep aside.
3. In another pan, heat oil and add chopped garlic and sauté for a minute. Then add chopped small onions and sauté till it turns translucent.
4. Then add chopped tomato and sauté till the tomatoes are cooked.
5. Then add barley with the water that was used to cook it.
6. Add cumin powder, pepper powder and salt.
7. When the water begins to boil, add the washed manathakkali keerai along with its seeds.
8. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the stove. Add coconut milk (optional) for added taste.
9. Serve warm.
- Small onions / Shallots cools the body too. You can use big onions if small ones are not available.