My twist to the regular sponge cake is that I have added whole wheat flour instead of maida / all purpose flour and also added apple for more flavour and nutrition.
Apple has a lot of nutrients in them. They are very rich in antioxidants, flavanoids and dietary fibre. It reduces the risk of developing cancer, diabetics, hyper tension and heart diseases. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Apple Sponge Cake
Wheat flour - 2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Eggs - 4
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Apple - 1 medium
1. Grate apple and keep aside.
2. Sieve wheat flour and baking powder and keep aside.
3. Preheat the oven in mode 'toast' at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl, add sugar, vanilla essence and eggs and whip it using an electric mixer with low speed. When the eggs are mixed well, after 2 to 3 minutes, whip again for 10 minutes in medium speed.
5. Into the above mixture, add 1 tbsp. of the wheat flour and fold into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon. Mix gently. When the flour is mixed well, add 1/2 of the flour and mix again gently. Then finally add the remaining flour and mix well, but gently. This way, the flour mixes into the egg mixture evenly without forming lumps.
6. Mix in the grated apple and mix well.
7. Grease a 8" cake mould with ghee or butter.
8. Pour into it the cake batter.
9. Bake it for 30 minutes at 180 degrees in 'bake' mode.
10. It’s better to check the cake after 25 minutes, if it’s done. Time taken to bake depends on oven you are using. Take a skewer and insert into the centre of the cake all the way down till the bottom. If the skewer comes clean then the cake is cooked.