There are many types of suzhiyams traditional done in south India. Some use maida for the batter and some idly batter. Similarly the stuffing used also varies. In this recipe I have used sathu maavu / multi-grain health mix powder for the batter and dal jaggery coconut mixture for the filling.
Sathu Maavu / Multi-grain Health mix powder Suzhiyam
No. of Servings : 8-9
For the Pooranam (stuffing)
Channa dal - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Cardamom - 1 tsp
Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
For the batter
Maida - 1 cup
Sathu maavu / Multi-grain Health mix powder -1/2 cup
Salt - a pinch
Water - to make a thick batter
For the pooranam:
1.In a kadai dry roast channa dal, till the raw smell goes and a nice aroma comes. Then soak it in water for atleast 1/2 hour.
2. Pressure cook channa dal with water. The water must just be up to the top of the dal. I cooked this channa dal for 7 minutes in my pressure cooker. You can calculate the time you usually cook for your regular dal recipes.
3. Separate the water if there is any in the dal. This dal water can be used for your other recipes such as sambar.
4. In a pan add the jaggery with little water and heat it. When the jaggery melts and starts to boil, turn off the flame. Cool and filter it.
5. In a pan mix together channa dal, filtered jaggery, cardamom and grated coconut.
6. Fry it till the mixture becomes thick, it becomes more thick when it cools.
7. Make small lemon sized balls and keep aside.
8. Mix all the ingredients for the batter.
9. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
10. Dip each pooranam ball in this batter and deep fry them.
11. Turn the Suzhiyam over to other side and fry both the sides.
12. When the Suzhiyam turns golden brown, remove them from the oil and serve them.