This dish is a specialty of Pondicherry. The main spice in this dish is fennel seeds and fennel powder which gives the dish a unique flavour. This preparation can be done with mutton and chicken too. I love it as a fish dish. This dish was prepared by my mother and I only photographed it ;)
Pondicherry Fish Curry / Meenu Aasadhu
No.of Servings : 5
Fish - 250 gms
Onion - 2 medium
Tomato - 2 medium
Coconut grated - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 3 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds powder - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Cardamom - 2
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
1. Grind tomato to paste, keep aside.
2. Grind coconut to paste, keep aside.
3. Wash fish and keep aside.
4. In a kadai, heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and fennel seeds.
5. When the fennel seeds begin to crackle add onion and sauté till they turn translucent.
6. Then add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell goes.
7. Add tomato paste, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and sauté till the tomatoes are done and oil separates on the top.
8. Add coconut paste, fennel powder and enough water and bring the mixture to a boil.
9. Add fish and cook for exactly 10 minutes over medium flame.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.