Vennai Puttu is one of the delicious and traditional breakfast sweet dish that my Grandmother used to make. It is usually made with rice flour and coconut milk. In this recipe, I substituted rice flour with store bought millet flour / multi-grain health mix flour to make it more healthy. The list of ingredients in the multi-grain health mix (link for your reference).
Millet Vennai Puttu / Multi-grain health mix Pudding
Servings : 5
Millet flour / Multi-grain health mix - 250 gms
Jaggery - 150 gms
Water - 200 ml
Coconut - 1
1st extract - 100 ml
2nd and 3rd extract - 200 ml
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt a pinch
Cashew nuts - few
1. In a pan, melt jaggery with little water and boil it. When it comes to a boil, turn off the stove and let the jaggery syrup cool. Filter it and keep aside.
2. In a non stick kadai, mix millet flour, water, 2nd and 3rd coconut milk extract and salt. Over a medium flame, keep stirring this mixture continuously till it thickens. This will take about 15 minutes.
3. Reduce the flame to simmer, add the filtered jaggery syrup and the 1st coconut milk extract.
4. Add ghee and stir continuously till the vennai puttu thickens. This will take about 10 minutes.
5. Remove from stove and pour it in a greased tray.
6. Garnish with roasted cashew nuts.
7. After it cools, cut into squares and serve.
- The millet flour which I used to prepare this vennai puttu had cardamom in it, so I didn't add extra cardamom.