Gulab Jamun is all time favourite Indian sweet. I just thought of making it a little healthier by adding sathu maavu / multi-grain health mix powder. I used raisins and nuts (almond, cashew and pistachios) for the filling.
Stuffed Sathu Maavu Jamun / Multi-grain Health mix Jamun
Servings : 7-8 Jamuns
For the jamun
Maida -1 cup
Sathu maavu / Multi-grain Health mix powder - 1/2 cup
Milk - as required
Milk powder - 4 tbsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Ghee - 1 tsp
For the stuffing:
Coarsely powdered blanched almonds, cashews, pistachios and raisins with a teaspoon of sugar.
For the sugar syrup
Sugar - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Refined / Vegetable / Canola Oil - for deep frying
1. In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for jamun, except milk. Add milk little by little and form dough, it must reach the consistency of a chapati dough. Allow the dough to rest for at least 30 minutes. Knead the dough and make small balls.
2. Roll out each ball like a chapati. It should be thin. Keep the filling in one half of the chapati, wet the outer rim of the rolled out dough with water, fold over and seal the edges with a fork.
3. To prepare sugar syrup, take sugar and water in a bowl. Then heat it up, when it starts to boil reduce the flame to medium and let it boil for 5 minutes. Stir the syrup occasionally. Then add cardamom powder and stir it.
4. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry the prepared jamuns in low flame. Add it to warm sugar syrup immediately.
5. Garnish with sliced nuts.