I am crazy about hot apple tart with vanilla ice cream and I like to eat them anytime, day or night ;) .This apple tart I tried with whole wheat flour and it turned out delicious. The crust was crisp and the apple filling was just the way I wanted it to be, cooked but little crunchy.
Mini Apple Wheat Tart
Servings: 7 - 8 mini tarts
For the Tart
Wheat Flour - 200 gms
Butter - 75 gms (cold and firm to touch)
Powdered sugar - 2 tbsp
Ice cold water - as required
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - a pinch
For the filling
Apple - 2 medium
Powdered sugar - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tsp
For the Crumbs
Wheat Flour - 50 gms
Butter - 25 gms (cold and firm to touch)
Cinnamon - a pinch
Powdered Sugar - 2 tbsp
1. In a mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for tart except butter and water.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes and mix it into the tart mix. With the tips of your fingers, mix it quickly but gently till the butter gets incorporated in the tart mix and the mix comes to the consistency of breadcrumbs.
3. Add required amount of ice cold water little at a time and bring the dough together. Do not knead the dough.
4. Wrap the dough in a clingwrap and refrigerate it for 15 - 20 minutes.
5. Preheat OTG oven at 190 degrees for 10 minutes in mode 'toast'.
6. Finely chop apples. If you prefer you can keep the apple skin on.
7. In a mixing bowl, mix the apples, powdered sugar and cinnamon, keep aside.
8. Grease the cup cake moulds with butter.
9. Roll out tart dough to 1/4 of an inch. Place dough into the mould. Press it gently into the mould. Trim off the edges.
10. Bake it for 10 minutes in OTG at 190 degrees in mode 'bake'.
11. Remove the moulds from the oven. Do not turn off the oven. Set timer and let the oven be 'on' till you fill the tart with apple mix and crumb top.
12. In a mixing bowl mix ingredients for making crumb. The butter must be cold. Quickly mix the butter into the flour with the tips of the fingers. They must resemble the consistency of bread crumbs. Keep aside.
13. Fill each tart cup with apple filling.
14. Top it with crumbs.
15. Bake it in the preheated OTG at 190 degrees for 10 minutes in mode 'bake'.
16. The baking time may wary depending upon the oven. When the crumbs turn golden brown in colour, then the tart is done.
17. Serve hot or warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
18. I used store bought whipping cream powder and followed the instruction on the carton to prepare the whipping cream for garnish.
- If you like the apple filling to be soft, you can bake it for another 5 minutes. But see to it that the crumbs doesn't get too dark.
- Chopping the apples finely can help them cook faster.