Lemon idli, lemony inside out. In this recipe the lemon juice is added in the idli batter itself so as to get the lemon taste in the idli, unlike the lemon idlis which are just tempered using lemon juice.
This is one of the recipe from my Great-grandmother's recipes collection. This recipe dates back to nearly a century. This is the first time that I am trying this recipe. The lemon idli was very delicious, so wanted to share with you. This idli is an ideal lunch box special. It will remain moist for a long time. Adding lemon juice in our daily diet is good. It has lots of health benefits. It's a good source of vitamins and minerals. It helps in flushing out the toxins from our body.
Lemon Idli - Lemony inside out
No.of idlis :12
Idli batter - for 12 idlis
Lemon juice - 6 tsp
Green chillies - 2
Ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - finely chopped
Oil / Ghee - 1/2 tsp
1. Mix with idli batter, lemon juice, chopped green chillies, ginger powder, turmeric powder and coriander leaves.
2. Add required salt to idli batter if you have not already added it.
3. In a small kadai, heat oil / ghee and add cumin seeds and pepper corns. When they start to crackle, turn off the stove and add it to the idli batter.
4. Grease idli mould with oil and fill it with this lemon idli batter and steam as regular idli for 10 minutes.
5. Serve with coconut chutney.
- This idli has to be made immediately after mixing. Do not let the mixed lemon idli batter rest for a long time. The batter will become watery.