I just tried this butter less, oil less chocolate sponge cup cake with wheat flour. It turned out to be good as the one with butter. Butter is not an essential ingredient for this type of cake. I have done a simple sugar icing for this cake. To get spongy cup cakes you may need an electric beater to get the eggs mixed or you can use the mixer / blender to do that in the whipping mode.
Butterless Wheat and Chocolate Cup Cake
Servings: 10 cup cakes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 15 -20 minutes
For the cup cakes
Wheat flour - 100 gms
Sugar - 100 gms
Cocoa Powder - 3 tbsp
Eggs - 4
Baking Powder - 3/4 tsp
Vanilla essence - 2 tsp
Salt - half pinch
Butter - 50 gms (optional)
Powdered sugar - 1 cup
Milk as required
For the cup cakes
1. Sieve wheat flour and cocoa powder together, keep aside.
2. Preheat the oven in mode 'toast' at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, add sugar, vanilla essence and eggs and whip it using an electric mixer with low speed. When the eggs are mixed well, after 2 to 3 minutes, add the baking powder and whip again for 10 minutes in medium speed.
4. Into the above mixture, add 1 tbsp. of the wheat flour and fold into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon. Mix gently. When the flour is mixed well, add 1/2 of the flour and mix again gently. Then finally add the remaining flour and mix well, but gently. This way, the flour mixes into the egg mixture evenly without forming lumps.
5. Place the cup cake liners in the cup cake moulds.
6. Pour into it the cake batter almost up to the rim of the liner. When it cooks, it rises up a little but cup cakes looks good if it rises above the liner.
7. Bake it for 20 minutes at 180 degrees in 'bake' mode.
8. It’s better to check the cake after 15 minutes, if it’s done. Time taken to bake depends on oven you are using. Take a skewer and insert into the centre of the cake all the way down till the bottom. If the skewer comes clean then the cake is cooked.
9. Remove from the oven and cool it on a wire rack.
10. Icing on the cup cakes must be done only after the cake cools completely.
1. In a mixing bowl add powdered sugar and 1 tsp of milk.
2. Keep mixing and add little milk if required. The icing must be thick. The icing will thicken further when it cools.
3. Apply on the completely cooled cup cakes.
- I baked it in OTG at 180 degrees for 20 minutes in 'bake' mode. Based on your OTG you may need to check your cupcakes after 15 minutes. Time taken for the cakes to cook may various slightly for each oven.
- Bake the cake immediately after you mix the batter. The cake will become hard if the batter rest for a long time after mixing.