I just wanted to try how fried prawns (shrimps) taste in mor kuzhambu. It tasted good :). The homemade dal powder mix is my mother's recipe. We grind it and stock it and use it in many different recipes. I will share other recipes in which we use this dal powder in the forth coming posts.
Prawn Chow Chow Dal Mor Kuzhambu
Prawns - 20 -25
Chow Chow - 1 medium
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Onion - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/4 tsp
Curd - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cooking oil - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Homemade Dal Powder - 2 tbsp
Ingredients for homemade dal powder:
(fry the below ingredients in a dry kadai till a nice aroma comes. Cool and grind it to fine powder. This can be stored in an air tight container for about 2 months.)
Bengal gram - 1 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Red chili - 20
Ingredients to marinate Prawns:
Chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt
1. Marinate prawns with the ingredients to marinate prawns and keep aside.
2. Chop onions and chow chow and keep aside.
3. Grind to a thick paste, grated coconut, dal powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. To this mixture add curd and grind in "whipping" mode in the blender.
4. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin. When they start to crackle, add curry leaves and onion, sauté till onions turn translucent.
5. Then add ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell goes and a good aroma comes.
6. Then add the chow chow and sauté for a minute. Add salt and water, cover with a lid and cook till chow chow is half done.
7. Reduce the flame to simmer, add 1/4 cup of water to chow chow, to reduce the boiling.
8. Pour into chow chow mixture, the ground coconut curd mixture. Because mixing the ground coconut curd mixture into boiling chow chow mixture will curdle the curd.
9. Add a cup of water to the mor kuzhambu and allow it to boil. The mor kuzhambu will thicken when it boils. Adjust the thickness according to your required consistency.
10. Keep the flame in medium and keep stirring continuously to avoid curdling. When the mor kuzhambu comes to a boil, reduce the flame to simmer and keep stirring continuously for 5 minutes.
11. In a fry pan add a teaspoon of oil and fry the marinated prawns and add to the mor kuzhambu.
12. I used some fried prawns for garnishing.
- After the mor kuzhambu is done, don't close it with a lid immediately. Keep stirring once a while till it cools a little, doing so, you can avoid curdling.