This is my cousin's in-law's recipe. She taught me nearly 2 decades back. I liked this recipe a lot. I checked with her for the ingredients and procedure again recently and tried this recipe. I added coriander leaves for added flavour. My cousin doesn't use coriander leaves.
No. of toasts: 10-12
Prawns - 20 -25 medium size
Garlic - 1 clove
Cloves - 1
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves - optional
Oil or Butter - for toasting bread
French bread / Baguette / sandwich bread
1. In a blender / mixer grind to a thick paste, prawns, garlic, clove, pepper and salt. Add a teaspoon of water if required.
2. Mix into the prawn paste finely chopped coriander leaves.
3. Slice the baguette 1/2 inches thickness circles.
4. Spread the prawn paste on one side.
5. Heat a tawa or a fry pan. Grease with little oil or butter. Place the prawn paste side of the bread down first. Let it cook and brown a little. This will take about 3 - 4 minutes.
6. Turn the toast over to the other side and toast it.
7. Serve it hot or warm. This can be served with soups or as starters or even for a main course.
- If you like, you can apply the prawn paste on both sides of the toast.
- Instead of coriander leaves, you can add any dry or fresh herbs for seasoning, like oregano, thyme, rosemary etc.